No matter where we find ourselves physically, the holiday of Shavuot connects us to each other and to our ancestors as we commemorate and relive revelation of Torah. This year, we will gather virtually for GJC’s annual Tikkun Leyl Shavuot (traditionally an all-night Torah study). The theme for our learning this year is “Connecting in a Fractured World.”
Thursday, May 28, 2020
- 7:00 – 7:45 PM – Community Program: Connecting in a Fractured World, facilitated by Rabbi Rebecca Richman
- 7:45 – 8:00 PM – Ma’ariv (Evening Service)
- 8:00 – 11:00 PM – Open Beit Midrash and Study of pre-prepared text study sheets (see below)
As usual, we will begin our night of learning together. We’ll gather on Zoom (see below for link) at 7:00 PM with a community-wide program, “Connecting in a Fractured World,” facilitated by Rabbi Richman. We’ll have interactive learning, some in the large group and some in breakout rooms to allow for more intimate conversation. Our community program will remind us, at the start of this chag (holiday) that we can still gather and learn, even in a time of physical distance.
At 7:45 PM, Rabbi Zeff will lead us in Ma’ariv (an evening service), on the same Zoom meeting.
From 8:00 – 11:00 PM, using the same Zoom meeting, we’ll have the chance to do some deeper, communal learning, using pre-prepared text study sheets (see below) from volunteer teachers. These sheets will be available starting the week of Shavuot. We encourage you to print out the full packet of teachings and join us from 8:00 – 11:00 PM, for a chance to make our way through as many of these teachings as possible.
- To join with smartphone, computer, or tablet: Use this Zoom link.
- To join with telephone: Call 646-876-9923, and use meeting ID 890 7047 8726 with password 886550.
- To listen on our audio livestream: click HERE
- To watch on our video livestream: go to homepage
Text Study Sheets and Videos
- What Is Revealed at Sinai with Rabbi Howard Avruhm Addison
- Capitalism and Community: How Class Unites and Disjoints with Lila Berman
- Personal and Communal Space in Masechet Eruvin with Josh Davidson
- Eitz Chaim: Wisdom, Nourishment, and Connection with Rachel Davidson
- Seeding the Tree: A Musical Journey of Ancestors, Return and Repair with Rebekka Goldsmith
- Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai and the Tikkun leil Shavuot in the Haqdamat haZohar on 1:8a with Mitch Marcus
- Movement at Sinai: Preparing Our Bodies and Minds to Receive Torah (for all ages!) with Maria Pulzetti
- We All Need Somebody to Lean On: Mitzvot Mutalot Al Ha-Tzibbur with Rabbi Erica Steelman
- From Shavuot to Sukkot: We must Green and Grow the Vote with Arthur Waskow
- Connecting the Living and the Dead: Yiddish Prayers and Rituals for the Cemetery with Chava Weissler
Germantown Jewish Centre extends thanks and gratitude to Ramy & Monica Djerassi for their generous support of this program, and to the Wolfe Family Foundation for their support in all GJC programming.