Announcing a Hands-on GJC Workshop for Confronting Family Homelessness in Philadelphia
Sunday, March 31 from 10:30-12:30 in the Maslow Auditorium.
A workshop for current and potential new volunteers for the GJC Homelessness Hospitality Network, as well as for those who just wish to deepen their understanding of this issue, will be held on Sunday, March 31 from 10:30-12:30 in the Maslow Auditorium. Rachel Falkove, the director of the Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network, and additionally an alumni of their program, will both provide us with insight into the challenges the families face and how we can sharpen our skills to best assist them. Light refreshments will be served.
As a result of attending this workshop attendees will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of homelessness and the families GJC hosts
- Learn how to be better volunteers
- Share your own experiences and suggestions with one another
- Hear about strategies to prevent homelessness and ways (other than volunteering at GJC) to be involved in these efforts
If you wish to attend this event, please RSVP to Debbie Stern at firstname.lastname@example.org (But feel free to come even if you don’t get a chance to RSVP).
Adult Literacy Tutor Program: A Tikkun Olam Initiative (Offsite)
You Can Make a Difference! GJC’s new Adult Literacy Tutor Program, an outgrowth of the Granger Memorial Shabbat on Poverty in Philadelphia, offers you the opportunity to become an effective adult tutor with the Project HOME Tutor Corps. The Tutor Corps will –
• Provide you with adult literacy training;
• Match you with a learner, based on your skills & their needs;
• Allow you to meet on a mutually convenient schedule;
• Provide you with ongoing support;
• Ask you to attend a Tutor Corps Thursday evening meeting once a month.
Are you interested in –
• Learning more about being an adult literacy or GED tutor?
• Getting training and working with people to improve literacy skills?
Please join us for an Initial Overview & Discussion of GJC’s new Adult Literacy Tutor Program.
Hosted in a West Mt Airy home –
RSVP to Rivkah Walton for more information – RivkahW@verizon.net