Welcome to the Quitman Library!
Books are our tradition’s greatest treasure and the Quitman Library is a sacred space in our community. For many decades GJC librarians, educators and rabbis worked to make this space available to our members and guests as an active place for reading, study, reflection and research. Thanks in part to a grant from the Judge Harold and Renee Berger Fund at Federation and a committee of dedicated volunteers, we recreated our library as a user-friendly space for young families, for those preparing d'vrei Torah and for those engaged in text study. More than one thousand volumes have been catalogued and placed on shelves, creating a library that has become a beloved community space.
The Quitman Library's development from 1939 to today is quite a fascinating dive into a little-known aspect of GJC's history. Thank you to GJC members Mindelle Goldstein and Chana Bonn for researching, interviewing, and writing the following article so we can all read the History of the Quitman Library.
Quitman Library Rules
- Absolutely NO food or drink is allowed in the library.
- The library is for quiet study. Please adjust your noise level so that it does not interfere with the use of the library by other congregants.
- Children younger than Bar or Bat Mitzvah age are welcome to use the library under the supervision of an adult.
- The library is a NON-CIRCULATING library – books are not to be removed.
- Please do NOT reshelf books. Place books on the "FOR RE-SHELVING" shelf (located next to the computer desk). This allows those who maintain the library to make sure it is re-shelved correctly and to monitor book usage.
Quitman Library Hours
Shabbat: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Please note that Parashat ha-Shavua b'Ivrit, our monthly Hebrew text study group meets in the library on the 2nd Shabbat of every month (Sept-June) from 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
Sunday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Wednesday: 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
* You are welcome to use the library during off hours; please see the office staff and they will gladly open the library for you. Please note that occasionally groups and classes meet in this space, so it may not be available. Please feel free to call before you come!