“Joining the board and becoming active was the single most important decision I made in my over 20 years of a GJC member."
Quote from Anne Shlay, addressing a large crowd at a talk about her newly published book she co-authored, Jerusalem: The Spatial Politics of a Divided Metropolis.
The friendships I have made through Women's Club are deep-rooted and include women of all ages. The women are very supportive through happy and sad times. While serving as president of the Women's Club for four years, I always had help when needed."
Quote from Maxine Feldman, Women's Club member
What Is It All About? and other FAQs
1. What is GJC WOMEN’S CLUB? It's laughter. It's love. It's being part of something special. The Women's Club brings together women who represent every minyan, every age group, every interest, who share the common goal of caring for our synagogue in a unique and vital way.
2. Why should I join? When you join WOMEN’S CLUB, your $45 annual dues help sponsor enriching programs and important projects that affect the entire community. Volunteering your skills, talents and time with our Women's Club offers a chance to contribute and connect. By being part of WOMEN’S CLUB, you keep GJC in the forefront of the congregation and of the community. You become part of a very special, very caring community and you build lasting friendships.
3. What does WOMEN’S CLUB do for me? In addition to providing opportunities to meet new people and have fun, WOMEN’S CLUB helps support many projects and programs, such as:
- Holiday treats and gifts for our young children and college students
- Childcare on Shabbat and High Holidays
- Funding for refurbishing classrooms and youth programming
- Organizing, stocking, and running The Little Shop
- Women’s Shabbat and Scholar in Residence weekend
- Building Beautiful (included: platform lift, bathroom renovations, art quilt wall-hanging in Magil Chapel, signs at Lincoln Drive, maintenance of silver Judaica
- Purim Bash, Torah Fund Brunch
- The Clothing Exchange and various programs with the Social Action Committee
- Timely and enriching programs on current issues of concern or just for fun.
- Sharing our Stories, Sharing our Lives: An Intergenerational Gathering of Women
- Readers and Challah Helpers to spend time with the children in ECP Camp
4. What do I get for my dues? Whether you join or not, you are welcome to attend any of the programs sponsored or co-sponsored by WOMEN’S CLUB. However, paying dues helps make it possible for many projects and vital programs to take place. You can also help collaborate with other women of GJC, to help fund critical projects that enhance the synagogue community, making it even more attractive for others to join.
5. What if I’d like to help with WOMEN’S CLUB but my time is limited, and I have young children, and can’t get to many meetings? Your talents are always welcome. Join us in attending any of our enriching programs and share your ideas and interests. Let us know if you’d like to work on a project from home or have ideas for a program or new project. Current co-presidents are: Marcy Fish (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sandy Meyer (email@example.com).
Strength Through Women's Club: Help Us Reach Our Goal - 100% Membership!
We are on a campaign to build Women's Club Membership to embrace 100% of GJC women. As of today, GJC is 460 women strong, but only approximately 175 are dues paying members of Women's Club. Membership dues sustain the infrastructure of GJC that directly affects you, and Women's Club cannot continue as we do with only 38% of women who pay these dues.
Annual Women’s Club dues are just $45.00. You can pay these dues in two different ways. If you prefer to send a check for $45.00, please see the information below. If you would prefer to pay online, there is a small credit card processing fee. CLICK HERE to join Women’s Club and pay dues via PayPal.
If you prefer, send a check made out to Women's Club of GJC to: Women's Club of GJC, Attn: Naomi Decter, 400 W. Ellet Street, Phila., PA 19119
Over 90 years of age? No payment required.
New GJC member as of June 2016? No payment required. Complimentary WC membership for 2016-2017.
You may not currently be able to plan or organize programs or attend Women’s Club events, but know we are working for you. Where do your dollars go? To encourage you to pay your dues, we want to be financially transparent. Your Women’s Club membership goes a long way!
- Are you a parent of a child in the Religious School? Your child’s tuition is being supplemented. Women’s Club raises and gives $18,000 annually to the Religious School. This is 20% of our budget and 11% of the Religious School’s operating budget.
Are you a parent who uses the babysitting services on Shabbat? Women's Club pays for that service.
Are you a parent of a child in college, Religious School or ECP? Women's Club helps to keep your child connected and pays for Holiday gifts and greetings.
Do you use GJC’s internet service, receive e-mails, leave phone messages or search events and schedules on the GJC website? Women's Club gives $25,000 annually to support GJC's operating budget. This is 29% of the Women's Club budget and 70% of GJC's tech budget.
Where do the rest of our funds go? Women's Shabbat and Scholar-in-Residence, Programs, Building Beautiful and Community Support to name just a few.
We would love to see you at our meetings, events and planning opportunities, until then, please consider making our Campaign a 100% enrollment.
Questions? Please contact Peninah Berdugo.
Thank you for your support!